Sunday, January 29, 2012

On The Road

I've been reading On The Road by Jack Karouac for the past few weeks (yes, I said weeks). With all the other things that have been going on this month, finishing this book has kind of fell by the wayside. However, I thought I would post some of my favorite quotes from what I've read so far. Going through them I realized how religious this novel actually is, which I definitely did not expect from the Beat movement's golden boy. Brace yourself, there are a lot (and I still have 2 "parts" left to read):
"I was halfway across America, at the dividing line between the East of my youth and the West of my future."
"Looking at the ceiling and wondering what God had wrought when He made life so sad."
"Troubles, you see, is the generalization-word for what God exists in. The thing is to not get hung-up." 
"Love is a duel."
"Everything is fine, God exists, we know time. Everything since the Greeks has been predicted wrong. You can't make it with geometrical systems of thinking. It's all this!"
"Lucille would never understand me because I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."
"All kinds of unforeseen events wait lurking to surprise you and make you glad you're alive to see."
"God exists without qualms. As we roll along this way, I'm positive beyond doubt that everything will be taken care of for us." 
"Only damn fools pay no attention to visions." 

No comments:

Post a Comment