Sunday, January 8, 2012

Brave New Girl

yesterday, I read the novel Brave New Girl by Louisa Luna. I enjoyed Luna's writing. It was very easy to read, although some of Doreen's experiences weren't quite as easy to deal with. Doreen's experiences in themselves weren't very relatable for me, but somehow I still found a strong connection with her (hard to put into words, you'd have to be in my head - scary). The strongest connection that I found with Doreen was her love for music and how she described how she felt about it. I would recommend the book to others; however, I'm warning you it can get kind of "dark." Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book: (some of these they took right out of my brain)
"Sometimes when I listen to music, I feel like I could scream. It's like some music's got a direct line to my insides, and when I hear it, I go crazy all over."
"My head gets all jammed up all the time, but when I put music on, I don't have to think about anything. I really love that." 
"It seems kind of dumb - all these words to songs I don't like are in my head. I mean, there could be something really good in my head instead. I could have the cure for cancer in there."  
  • (I swear I have said something almost exactly like this before. I think about this all the time. For example, why can I remember lyrics to songs I haven't heard since I was 8, but I can't remember where I put my phone 2 minutes ago? But anyways...)
"Sometimes you have to do things before you know why you're doing them."  

No comments:

Post a Comment