I recently posted this article from Chictopia's Everybody Is Ugly blog on my other blog so I decided to post it here as well.
I was instantly drawn in by the title - "New Year, New You!" Yeah, Right. This is exactly my feeling on New Year's resolutions. Why does there have to be a designated holiday to improve your life? There are 364 other days in the year, and every one of those are just as good for making changes. One of our goals every day should be to make that day the best it can be. If you haven't done anything to make your life better any other day of the year, what makes January 1st any different? Nothing. So if you want to make a resolution to better your life, don't do it because it's a holiday custom. Do it because you genuinely want to and have the intention to follow through. If you have ten broken New Year's Resolutions, that could be really depressing. However, if you make one "everyday" resolution that is achievable - that's really empowering. So check out this article's "realistic resolutions" that seem simple, but can have a big impact. Try picking the ones that suite you and sticking to them.
Here are the 7 they list in the article (I've bolded the ones that I will be starting/doing more):
- Only shop during sales (i am the sale finder queen, come shop with me and you'll save dinero)
- If you shop when there aren't sales, thrift (i love thrift stores and will be utilizing them even more this year)
- Only buy shoes if you really need them (i know a lot of people who need to learn this!)
- Paint your own nails (this is a great one for people who get frequent manicures, i do my own nails and can only imagine the amount of money that i've saved over the years just from this. just think of it like this: $5 bottle of nail polish and 5 minutes of your time vs. $30+ and at least an hour of your time. you do the math.)
- Make some of your own clothes (i'm really excited about this, i love having things that i've made myself)
- Make the most of your time (always a must)
- Drink more water (i started doing this during the fall and i will definitely keep it up this year)